LOCATION: Austin, TX
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
Information technology sits at the heart of everything we do. That’s where you come in. You’ll join a dynamic production support team in our Austin, Texas location, keeping our world class SaaS solution current and available to our worldwide customer base.
Scalable’s Asset Vision® is a cloud-hosted SaaS product utilizing Amazon Web Services’ IaaS, where all customers run the same version of Asset Vision and updates are applied to all customer instances at a regular, rapid cadence. Individual Asset Vision instances in AWS can vary enormously in scale depending on the customer, and so the AWS IaaS capabilities are highly leveraged to allow Asset Vision to scale with the customer’s needs.
While the tasks and responsibilities of the role are defined and management contact is ongoing, the role requires an individual that can “self manage” – someone comfortable with prioritizing and adjusting their schedule depending on current demands, reporting up where necessary. As part of a distributed Operations team dealing with leading edge technologies and practices, the role offers good scope for professional development.
Embracing the DevOps practices and goals of cross disciplinary collaboration to promote the creation, evolution and operation of rapidly-changing resilient systems at scale, most aspects of product deployment, updating and monitoring have been automated. The Asset Vision product architecture relies on not only AWS, but also on Scalable’s internal, distributed network infrastructure, so monitoring, maintaining and improving the overall operational infrastructure is equally important.
Because Scalable sells to customers around the world, the role requires flexible working practices, where solving the problem supersedes regular working hours, when required.
- Managing the deployment, operation and security of Scalable’s Asset Vision product, utilizing the Root Sever and following the procedures defined by the Operations team. Feedback on improvement to the process is expected as part of the role.
- Identifying and resolving faults and issues with live customer instances of Asset Vision.
- Performing QA on new revisions of the Root Server produced by the Operations team, and suggesting improvements where appropriate.
- Supporting and improving the administration processes of Scalable’s internal and external technical infrastructures.
- Working with Customer Support on customer issues, and responding to requests for assistance and support.
- Supporting and participating in the QA process of Asset Vision.
- Strong Linux administration skills.
- Experience of operational fault finding and root-cause analysis in complex systems.
- A good understanding of TCP/IP network technologies and protocols.
- Experience working with and administrating virtualized environments.
- Experience in deploying and managing complex, multi-tier web applications.
- Experience working with help desk ticketing systems.
- Experience working with Developers in deployment and faultfinding situations.
While not required, knowledge or experience in any the following is highly desirable:
- Experience in the administration of VMWare.
- Administration, tuning and fault finding of RDBMS systems.
- Operational practices in Amazon Web Services or similar cloud hosting environments like Azure or Google Cloud.
- Experience of working in a DevOps environment with automation tools (e.g. Chef, Puppet), including performing QA on tools and processes.
- A working knowledge of data center security, processes and protocols.
- Experience of firewall, router and network infrastructure device management.
- Experience working in a team spread across multiple time zones.
Please submit your resume and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org.